Aquatic therapy is a type of physical therapy treatment that takes place in water, generally in a pool. It is also commonly known as hydrotherapy or aquatic rehabilitation and has soothing properties that can benefit you if you are seeking pain relief and relaxation.
How does aquatic therapy work?
Aquatic therapy sessions are very organized and typically begin with a warm-up. They all take place in the water and will likely begin with gentle, low-resistance exercises to target the lower and upper extremities. This may include brief walking and light stretches. Then sessions may turn to more advanced cardiovascular and core activities, such as running, squatting, arm swings, and leg swings. After your session, you will also have some cool-down methods.
Aquatic therapy is a specialized form of physical therapy that we are happy to offer at OTG in the comfort of your own home if you have a pool. Our therapists recognize the positive effect of using water treatments to improve motion and functionality while simultaneously allowing your muscles to relax.
What can I gain from aquatic therapy?
Water’s natural properties set the stage for a very therapeutic environment. Did you know that aquatic therapy is a method of relief that has been practiced for hundreds of years by many cultures?
The ancient Romans and Greeks bathed in hot springs for relaxation and to improve circulation. Hippocrates believed hot springs could heal sickness. Swiss monks were well known to use thermal waters to treat sick people. The Japanese use hot springs to treat skin problems and relieve chronic pain.
The benefits of aquatic therapy include:
- Building muscle strength and endurance
- Reducing stress and promoting relaxation
- Enhancing the healing process to decrease recovery time
- Increasing aerobic capacity for better health
- Improving coordination and balance
- Improving flexibility and movement
- Assisting with locomotion and gait
Aquatic therapy may be added to your current physical therapy treatment plan under the discretion of our therapist. He or she will assist you in the movements that will best help you find relief.
So, why should I choose aquatic therapy?
Aquatic therapy with OTG is able to provide the following:
- Relief. It can help provide relief for many conditions, including arthritis, chronic pain, lower back pain, orthopedic injuries, sprains, strains, and tendonitis.
- Improved Breathing. The respiratory muscles are forced to work harder during aquatic therapy, which helps you breathe better.
- Relaxation. It provides a soothing and relaxing environment for aching muscles and joints.
- Buoyancy. Water has a natural buoyancy for flotation and reduces gravity on aching muscles and joints. There is less pain when you exercise in water.
- Hydrostatic pressure. With its hydrostatic pressure, you’re supported and don’t have to fear falling while performing exercises.
- Resistance. Its natural resistance can be used to increase the rehabilitation process and strengthen muscles.
- Wave propagation/turbulence. Wave propagation and turbulence allow your therapist to gently manipulate your body.
Learn more about our home-based aquatic therapy sessions today!
If you are in Southwest Florida looking for relief and relaxation, aquatic therapy will likely be beneficial to you. We provide therapy services at your home and in your pool. Request an appointment today to get started!